SERVPRO fire remediation specialists advise Haverhill-area grill masters to prepare now for a safe, savory outdoor cooking season
Haverhill, MA – For many, the Memorial Day weekend marks the unofficial start of the summer season. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) warns families that the onset of the summer season also marks a rise in home fires started by outdoor grilling activities. According to the NFPA, on average, 10,600 home fires are started by grills each year. July is the peak month for grill fires, followed by June, May, and August.1
“Sixty-one percent of U.S. households own a gas grill,” says Rick Isaacson, CEO of Servpro Industries, LLC. “A total of sixty-four percent own at least one outdoor BBQ, grill, or smoker. The popularity of this outdoor cooking equipment combined with longer, warmer days creates a unique fire hazard that should be taken seriously.”
The time to take precautions is now, adds Isaacson, before the outdoor cooking season is in full swing. The NFPA offers these basic tips for fire-safe grilling: 2
For gas/propane grills:
- Check the gas tank for leaks before using.
- Open the lid on all gas grills before lighting the grill.
For charcoal grills:
- Use only charcoal starter fluid to start the fire but never add it or any flammable liquids to a fire that is burning.
- Cool coals completely before you dispose of them in a metal container.
For all grills:
- Place grill well away from house and deck railings. Don’t place under eaves or branches.
- Remove grease and fat buildup from grills and trays after each use.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill.
- Never leave the grill unattended when in use.
“Basic precautions set the stage for a safe and enjoyable outdoor cooking season,” says Isaacson. “Life is unpredictable, but you can take steps to control the risk of house and property fires caused by outdoor cooking. Whether you are strictly a summer grilling warrior or you use your grill year-round, simple, common-sense actions can help ensure that the only smoke you smell this summer is the sweet aroma of steaks and vegetables grilling.”
SERVPRO specializes in fire and water cleanup and restoration services and repair services, helping to remediate damage for both commercial and residential customers. For more information about SERVPRO, please visit www.servpro.com. For more information on SERVPRO in the Haverhill area, please contact please contact one of the local business owners below.
* For SERVPRO of Danvers/Ipswich, please contact Patrick Lavigne who can be reached at 978-777-3498 or email@example.com.
* For SERVPRO of Haverhill/Newburyport, please contact Patrick Lavigne who can be reached at (978) 374-8555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more than 50 years, SERVPRO has been a trusted leader in fire and water cleanup and restoration services, construction, mold mitigation, and biohazard and pathogen remediation. SERVPRO’s professional services network of more than 2,000 individually owned and operated franchises spans the United States and Canada, responding to property damage emergencies large and small – from million-square-foot commercial facilities to individual homes. When disaster strikes, homeowners, business owners, and major insurance companies alike rely on SERVPRO to make it “Like it never even happened.”