Business of the Month Awarded to Amtrak Downeaster
Haverhill, MA – The Greater Haverhill Chamber has named The Amtrak Downeaster as its business of the month for April 2021 for their outstanding service during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Downeaster is a 145-mile regional passenger train service, managed by the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority (NNEPRA), an agency of the state of Maine, and operated by Amtrak. Named for the Down East region of Maine, the train runs from North Station in Boston, Massachusetts to Brunswick, Maine, with 10 intermediate stops. The train operates five daily round trips with a stop in Haverhill, MA.
Onboard the Amtrak Downeaster enjoy comfortable reclining seats with lots of legroom, oversized windows to enjoy the scenic views, free wi-fi, and personal outlets at every seat. Each passenger car has ample luggage space and is equipped with a lavatory. Bikes are now accepted from all Downeaster stations in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Several protocols and procedures have been implemented to protect the health and safety of passengers and crews, including:
- Train equipment interiors are sanitized nightly and undergo enhanced cleaning before and after each roundtrip.
- Crews and passengers are required to wear face masks while in stations, boarding and onboard the train. Face coverings must fully cover the mouth and nose, fit snugly against the side of the face and under the chin.
- Real-time seat availability displays next to each trip option when purchasing tickets. Customers can book a train that is less crowded or change their ticket if capacity exceeds comfort levels.
- All trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
- The Downeaster travel experience is touchless. Book, board, check train status and access information from the convenience and safety of a mobile device.
- The Downeaster Café is open for purchases you can consume at your seat. Protective Plexiglass partitions have been installed in the service area, all “grab and go items” have been removed and credit card payments are touchless. Table seating in the Downeaster Café is not permitted but a pilot program for at-seat service is available on some trains.
- Downeaster station facilities are cleaned regularly and social distancing and face masks requirements are in effect at all stations.
About the Haverhill Chamber of Commerce
Just north of Boston in the Merrimack Valley, The Greater Haverhill Chamber serves a wonderfully diverse, local, small business community. The connectivity between the people and the businesses in our Chamber is what really matters. Our Chamber supports more than 400 businesses, and we work to extend our reach and value every day. Visit us at www.haverhillchamber.com.